Sunday, January 14, 2007

To my software friends

Few days back, somebody who had read my profile on Orkut, specifically " I am in good in networking" called me up ( I have deleted my contact no. since) to inquire about the scope of "Networking" in Gujarat....Poor guy....he was an software engineer, and he mistook a mere normal mortal like me to possess some great talent, accessible to only those elite band of Homo Sapiens who term themseleves as "software engineers".
Exceptions apart, I have come across hordes of S/W guys (unfortunately ...not girls !), who couldn't find anything else to describe about themselves, except that they are Software engineers... ( Is it a status symbol ? I am ill informed then). But I utterly fail to understand the significance of subjects one studies during his / her graduation to one's persona, that being a software engineer is used as the punch line for identification.
Well, the whole lot of ITES and its cousins contribute a meagre 3.5 % of India's GDP ( RIL alone contributes about 2.8 %....oops..I go the stats. way again). The best compliment that I can ascribe to them is that of metaphorical "frog in the well".....My dear software friends....Though the significance and importance of IT is beyond doubt, however a lot was achieved in this world even before the first computer was made.

No comments:

About Me

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Just another management graduate