Saturday, January 13, 2007

Job Hoping

Last month, on my flight to Delhi from Baroda came across an ex-senior colleague ( age 50 + ) from my previous organization. As we were in altogether different teams, working for different multi billion projects, didn't had much interaction with each other except for the casual "Hi..Hello" during my tenure of over three years at L&T. My subject colleague was not aware that I have left L&T, and his first reaction on seeing me was to think "What the hell, is this stupid UPS doing in this flight to Delhi ? He is not working on any such project, which brings him to Delhi. "Belated Diwali and New year Greetings exchanged, I told him about my change of job. The next to follow was a long tantrum from him on the "Penetration of Western culture in India, Youths acting irresponsibly and leaving jobs now and then, ill effects of job hoping and other heaps of bullshit" that too with profound conviction, as we made our way through the elevators, waited for over 20 min for luggage to arrive, right till the time self left the airport. I wanted to argue with that person, but as somebody says, never argue with a pig ( because, onlookers can't tell the difference). However, I post here my take ( Not arguements in favour of job hoping), but an explanation particularly to and for the wise intellectuals, twice my age or even older for the current "sordid" state of "affairs" in job arena. Here I begin......
"For an entire generation or two, which came up to their prime of youth in 70s and 80s, even getting the basic necessities of life was not an easy task for many throughout their childhood and youth. In India, which at that time wrestled with droughts, food sufficiency was distant dream, lack of Industrialization, yet to gain "critical mass" mass movement from rural to Urban India, the accompanying poverty etc., the best dream a person could dare to see was to pass graduation, and somehow land up in a Government job. The next best being a job with Tata, Birla or L&T. People who were selected at these organizations felt it their moral responsibility to work and slog for these organizations, and had an emotional touch ( similiar to a family member) attached to these companies. The very thought of leaving these organizations was considered a sin ( namak harami) by a vast majority. "This company gave me a job, when I didn't had any......now how could I leave it ". Past 2000, tables have turned. Post liberalization, its the employees who are choosers, as job market galores, with insufficeint talent pool, the importance ascribed to an qualified and talented individual can never be over emphasized. Still, today's youth slog, not for an attachment or sense of moral responsibility, but for their rage of performance, the desire to progress, and their result oriented approach. Yet, the moment they find, there is some other company, which encapsulates their aspirations better, they shed off their "comfort zone" and reach out to live and fulfill their career dreams "
I know, I have failed to put up an explanation good enough to break any ice regarding my difference of opinions with 50+ age colleagues, but hey, .Isn't this, what they call "Generation Gap ?"And to that senior ex-colleague of mine - It was L&T, the first company to come for campus at my college, and select only UPS out of 185 mech. students, well over one year in advance... At 50+, you need to "grow up".

No comments:

About Me

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Just another management graduate